As mentioned in Initial Commit, Hack Cabin is powered by the open source After Dark theme for Hugo. When I originally created the theme in , the 404 page contained an MP4 throwback video paying homage to a certain popular screensaver introduced by Berkeley Systems for the Macintosh in 1989.
The video, and the After Dark theme name, were inspired by a website with an interactive After Dark simulator. And though unlikely either of us will ever be sued by Berkeley Systems , I’ve decided to retire the original video , and replace it with a new animated 404 page.
Here is a quick rundown of improvements the new page brings:
- Approximately 98% smaller than the original 404 page
- Dramatically improved mobile browser experience
- Improved user experience for desktop and terminal browsers
- Analytics Tracking with Google Analytics
- In After Dark fashion, a full page load with 1 HTTP request
The new 404 page was inspired by an all-nighter geeking out over CSS keyframe and JS animations on CodePen, and coded in about an hour before dawn.
I’ve left a link to the unminified source code, and a crumb trail leading to the inspiration, in the After Dark source code for you to dig up. Enjoy.